Assistant Preparator, Part-time non-exempt
Head of Collections and Senior Registrar
The Assistant Preparator provides support with exhibition and gallery installations and maintenance of the art collection on display and in storage.
Reports to the Head of Collections and Senior Registrar and works closely with the Lead Preparator, Associate Registrar, Exhibitions Manager, and Curators.
- Under the guidance of the Lead Preparator, assist with the installation and deinstallation of works of art in the temporary exhibition and art collection galleries.
- Assist with packing and crating of works for shipping, including retrofitting of existing crates.
- Work with Lead Preparator to unload large, heavy crates to/from trucks and maneuver throughout the building to storage or galleries.
- Assist with the installation of exhibition graphics and lighting.
- Assist with the preparation of galleries for display, including patching, sanding, and painting.
- Prepare objects for exhibition, including matting, framing and mount making, or for storage.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly tasks to ensure that the exhibitions and collections storage spaces of the museum are clean, organized, and ready for public viewing.
- Assist with inventories of collections.
- Work with freelance photographers to facilitate access to works.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Registrars or Lead Preparator.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience installing framed works for exhibition and handling works of art is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the museum field is preferred
- Knowledge of museum standards in regard to collections care, including integrated pest management and environmental monitoring
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing tasks and demands
- Communicate and work with all levels of constituents effectively
- Display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner
- Basic carpentry skills required
- Requires the physical strength necessary to lift and/or move heavy objects (able to lift and carry 50 lbs., e.g., work of art; able to move, maneuver, and manipulate 250 lbs., e.g., crate), climb ladders and use scissor lifts.
- Must possess a current driver’s license and have available transportation to and from the workplace.
- Must be available 2 full days per week, 8:30 – 4:30 PM. Tuesdays are required. A flexible schedule is preferred.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Connie Scholz at [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Brandywine Conservancy & Museum of Art is committed to building a culturally diverse staff.