In 1911, with the proceeds from his illustrations for Treasure Island, the artist N.C. Wyeth purchased 18 acres of land near the village of Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania. Possessed, he described it as
the most glorious sight in the township
Wyeth built his home and studio on a hill overlooking the valley—setting down roots which have nourished a family of extraordinary creativity for more than a century.
The house and studio, located five minutes from the museum, retain much of their original character. The main studio, with its spectacular Palladian-style north window, still contains many of the props that were essential to the work of an illustrator, including a birch-bark canoe and a collection of firearms. A full-size mural painting, displayed in a soaring 1923 addition, helps tell the story of Wyeth’s career. The house, with its country furnishings, reveals a more intimate picture of family life.
The N.C. Wyeth House and Studio is a National Historic Landmark and a member of the Historic Artists' Homes and Studios program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Guided tours of the house and studio introduce visitors to the various aspects of Wyeth’s career and to other members of the family, significantly enriching the museum visit. Tours depart from the museum via shuttle on the schedule listed below.
Due to the unprecedented flooding that hit our area, the Museum and is closed until further notice. For the most up-to-date information regarding our reopening, click here.
A complimentary shuttle bus provides transportation to the N. C. Wyeth House & Studio. Shuttles depart from the Museum promptly at the time noted on the ticket. Visitors should board the shuttle 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
The N. C. Wyeth House & Studio and shuttle transportation are wheelchair accessible. See our Accessibility page for more information and door widths.